Do you feel at a loss when it comes to good house cleaning tips? Perhaps you’re having trouble keeping up with the mess as it accrues from your pets or children. Regardless, there are simple measures you can take to keep your house clean. Let’s start with the carpet: Sometimes all it needs is a little spot treatment. Here is a guide on how to spot-clean your carpet:
- A clean white cotton cloth or rag
- Spoon or spatula
- Cleaning solvent (store-bought, dish detergent, club soda, or vinegar)
- Wet/dry vacuum (if available)
- Blot: If the spot is still wet, then take your clean white cloth and blot out as much of the excess liquid as possible. Immediacy is important when it comes to cleaning stains in your carpet. If you catch a spill, then act as soon as you can so that the stain does not set into the carpet fibers. Opt for blotting over rubbing, because rubbing the spot may damage your carpet and will only spread the stain further.
- Add Water: If the first step did not entirely remove your spot, then add water to the soiled area and repeat the blotting step. This method usually works to remove fresh stains.
- Use Cleanser: Deep stains require a little more help. Use a cleaning solvent that you know will not harm your carpet, and following the directions of the cleanser, blot the stained area with a clean white towel until you get the results you desire. Sometimes, store-bought cleansers will require you to vacuum the stain and mess up.
- Other Options: If the stain is solid, then use a spatula to try and work it of the carpet. Dry and crusty spots need some massaging and then a good vacuum. You can apply the above methods after that. The best option however, is using a wet-dry vacuum on the stain or spill immediately after it occurs.
Call Bay Carpet at (718) 366-5001 to learn all about our flooring products and installation services.